Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Check it off

Knock on mother fucking wood, things are right on schedule for this weekend's show.

Bobby did try to pull a fast one on Monday when I walked in his stall and saw a fresh blood trail down his pastern. At that point he still had a couple scabs left over from the sarcoidosis along his coronet band that were taking their sweet time coming off (They are officially gone as of this morning, and aside from being a little hairless still in spots, he looks like a cancer free horse!) so spots of blood along his leg weren't completely uncommon first thing in the morning. This was a nice fresh unrelated wound however. It looked like he'd stepped on his ankle with his shoe and just popped the skin open.

If you're wondering how one steps on the front of their front ankle with a front shoe, you have clearly never met my elegant ballerina of a horse.

I wiped off the blood, spritzed some BlueKote on the spot, and haven't had to worry about it since. Nice try, sir.

my mom fosters for the siamese cat rescue and recently got three kittens in.
so much cuter than bobby!

Other than that, even the weather has deigned to cooperate with how I've laid things out.

On Monday we did a dressage school before he got his feet done and ran through Novice A for the first time in two years. I opened it up on my phone to make sure I was doing the transitions in the right spots and was like, whuuut is this LOLZ?! It's so short compared to a Second level test. Of course, that also means there are less movements to make up for mistakes. I'm sure I'll find a way to screw it up somewhere, but the ride through felt like a breeze. Let's be real. It's a twenty meter circle each way at trot and canter. I can't mess it up that badly.

Probs famous last words.

i want this one because look at her little white feeties!!!

Yesterday we did our last fitness work, hauling out to Mendon and making sure we could still canter up and down terrain without dying. Bobby blasted through their water crossing without a second thought (he is part moose though, so not surprising), popped over a couple "jumps" in our path, and navigated the hills on autopilot.

I was able to school a drop with him which was nice because we don't have a bank at the barn (yet). There's a little pavilion that sits on a hill that's banked up on two sides just like a real cross country bank. He wanted no part of stepping off it last week, so I hopped off and did some in-hand work this time. There's only enough room for one stride before you land in brambles which I assume was his reason for not wanting to go as he's never had an issue with drops in his life.

He launched off the first time ending up with a face full of brush--which he immediately set to eating--and then calmly stepped down the next two times. I got back on and he stepped off with zero hesitation or fan fare and we carried on. The drop at GVH is part of a double step, and Novice is basically angled off to the side which makes it one drop but way steeper. I was glad to get that out of the way.

Overall though, his breathing and recovery were great for the amount of work we did. A barn mom reported he was tired last night, but he was covered in shavings from a good sleep and back to his perky and obnoxious self this morning for his day off. Bless the Thoroughbred, yo.

herro little stripey space alien

Tomorrow we'll do a light dressage school to make sure all the buttons still work, and then Friday will be a super short jump school to make sure my head is in the game. I'm not in the least concerned about dressage or cross country, but ye olde stadium demons are already back in full force. He hasn't given me a bad jump in weeks, but that shit doesn't die easy. My only goal for that phase is to stay present. And not get eliminated. He can pull every rail for all I care, just puh-leaze let us finish!

We basically got the world's best ride times for both days. Fingers crossed Hubby can work the camera to an acceptable level and that I'll be back next week with some awesome media to share!

19 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness those kittens are adorable and Bobby...stop hurting yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even with the self maiming.

      Delete
  2. Good luck this weekend, and congrats on winning cobjockey's giveaway. Those are some great prizes to pick from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was super excited to win!

      Delete
  3. I'm so freaking excited for you. So excited :D gooooo Bobby event horrrrse!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does he still get to be an event horse if he only does one event a year? I vote yes.

      Delete
  4. I'm pumped for you two!! Have fun, jump all the things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed for jumping all the things and not being a complete spaz.

      Delete
  5. SO EXCITED for you and Bobby!!! I can't wait for the recap.
    Those kittens though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! So happy you are going for it!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.